Thursday, March 15, 2012

Scratch building Eldar Weapon Platforms, updating old Wraith Lords

Welcome back all.  As I have mentioned in previous posts, I bought my Eldar army a long time ago.  How long?  When I bought the army they still had separate lists for the Iyanden craft world (which I loved).  I wasn't, however, a fan of the blue and yellow colors.  Unfortunately for me when I bought my Guardians they didn't yet come with the weapons platform as they do now.  So many years, twenty Guardians, and platform-less I decided I would try to craft my own.


Using some plasticard (for sale signs) and some Milliput I was able to construct what we see above.  I know it doesn't look like much there, but after I cast them the result below turned out pretty well, I think.


I still need to create the cylinder engines that hold it afloat (which I admit is giving me fits), but I think I'll be able to pull it off eventually.  For now this will have to do.

The Wraithlords definitely show their age when you see the old models compared to the new ones.  They are very static and the metal makes repositioning them very difficult.  That didn't stop me, though!




As you can see I added larger knee guards, shoulder pads, and a wider neck piece.  I also built upon the neck with Milliput to give the model a bit more size.  Toss in a loin cloth and bend the arms a bit and it looks pretty good for such an old model.




Hopefully after this weekend I'll have time to prime and paint these two fellas.  With the missile launchers and bright lances I'm hoping they can make a nice anti-tank unit to go with the army I've designed.  Till next time, happy building!

No comments:

Post a Comment