Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Personal Hobby update- on Daemons and Space Marines

Welcome back to the increasingly innacurately named Scratch Built 40k!  So much to cover, so little time!

First, the Space Marines have taken a back seat for a bit.  I've found that if I spend too much time on one army I get burnt out and stop wanting to work on anything.  Don't get me wrong, I've made progress!  20 Marines are put together, along with 5 Terminators.  Half of them still need some detail and line work, but they're almost ready for battle.

However, with the airbrush I've discovered that the Daemons I've owned could be repainted and improved in a fraction of the time they took the first time around.



As you can see, I have 18 Flamers (without arms... I hate those things) ready for battle.  The subtle blues to purples would have taken me forever to paint with a brush, and I would have relied too much on that oft despised drybrushing technique.

After seeing how easy the flamers were to paint, I decided to revisit the Soul Grinders.  The first time I hated painting them and I wasn't hot on how they turned out.  Very flat and hard to detail.  I think this is an improvement so far.



I know it's looking awful blue right now, but that is mostly the camera (I really need a nicer camera).  This was the first one I started working on.



At the moment I am struggling to find a third color to detail the model.  Any ideas?

2 comments:

  1. I like the armless Flamers, it makes them seem much more like free-form globs of flaming warp-stuff.

    For a third colour I'd go with yellow - but I really like blue/yellow together so...
    From a non-biased view the Thousand Sons are often shown as blue/yellow, and a lot of the 2nd ed Tzeentch stuff had yellow/red/orange highlights.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you like the Flamers! I've always hated those arms and felt they were too bipedal looking for formless Horrors.

    As for the yellow, I think that would be the best way to go, and I'm a little ashamed of myself for not thinking of it!

    I really wish I had a nicer camera. The colors in these images are really disappointing and don't bring out the deep blues and the subtle change to purple.

    ReplyDelete